The PA Family Support News Brief covers topics like Parents as Teachers model fidelity and training, strengthening families protective factors, prevention of child abuse, childhood injury prevention, and more.
Teresa Miller, Secretary of PA Department of Human Services, Discusses Being a Mother and Support of the Parents as Teachers Home Visiting Program
Center for Schools and Communities’ Karen Shanoski, who leads the Pennsylvania Parents as Teachers state office, recently sat down with Teresa Miller, secretary of Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, to record a meaningful conversation about parenting for StoryCorps, the oral history project that provides an opportunity for everyday and extraordinary people to tell their story and to have others listen.
In celebration of its 35th anniversary, PAT National launched a StoryCorps Community and Pennsylvania’s PAT State Office Director invited Secretary Miller to tell her story. As the Secretary of the Department of Human Services, Miller holds many responsibilities and must make numerous decisions each day that impact families in the state.
PAT in the News
- Foundational training for family support professionals offered
- PAT receives the highest rating from Prevention Services Clearinghouse
- Strengthening families through home visitation
- Infant Development celebrates young children with programs for all ages
- At-risk children show improvement in key areas of early development
- Coalition pushes for home visits to ensure support for underprivileged children
- Affiliates Earn Blue Ribbon Endorsement
- Home visitors give new parents helping hand
- Community school trying to break the cycle of poverty
- Parenting is a hard job, but “home visitors” lend a hand
- Home visits from education experts improve outcomes for Philly kids in poverty
- PAT program results in a 22% reduction of child abuse and neglect