The PA Family Support News Brief covers topics like Parents as Teachers model fidelity and training, strengthening families protective factors, prevention of child abuse, childhood injury prevention, and more.
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month, an annual observance dedicated to raising awareness and preventing child maltreatment. Because of COVID-19, we are facing not only a national public health emergency but also a mental health one as well. We must all work to protect the well-being of all children and their caregivers. To that end, the Children’s Trust Fund Alliance, along with their parent partners the Alliance National Parent Partnership Council (ANPPC) and the Birth Parent National Network (BPNN), have created several free, downloadable resources to promote the protective factors that keep families strong.
Supporting families/staff during the COVID-19 health crisis
At their March 19, 2020, online meeting, PAT Supervisors shared some ideas that home visitors can conduct personal visits and group work during COVID-19 crisis. In addition, the Pennsylvania Parents as Teachers state office has created this list of resources to help support families and staff during this pandemic.
Online resources available at PAT National website
During this challenging time, PATNC is offering online resources to discuss Virtual Home Visiting and updated guidance via OLIVER at the Model Implementation Workspace. Please see the PAT National website for more details.
Please “see” families as you are able. Check-in with them via phone or virtual means even if you can’t conduct a visit. Now is a great time to remind them of the protective factors they have and will continue to build.
We look forward to continuing to partner with you as we share this unique pandemic experience. We at the PA PAT State Office are here to help in any way we can. As you are looking out for so many people and responding to so many changes, remember that you need to take care of yourself: first your oxygen mask, then the others. That way you can stay available to them.
PAT in the News
- Pennsylvania Parents as Teachers releases the latest annual report
- PAT affiliates earn Blue Ribbon Status
- H.A.N.D.S. Parents as Teachers boosts families
- PAT and Brookville Library go on a dinosaur hunt
- PAT served 5,156 families in Pennsylvania last year
- Secretary of PA Department of Human Services Teresa Miller discusses motherhood and Parents as Teachers
- Foundational training for family support professionals offered
- PAT receives the highest rating from Prevention Services Clearinghouse
- Strengthening families through home visitation
- Infant Development celebrates young children with programs for all ages
- At-risk children show improvement in key areas of early development
- Coalition pushes for home visits to ensure support for underprivileged children
- Affiliates Earn Blue Ribbon Endorsement
- Home visitors give new parents helping hand
- Community school trying to break the cycle of poverty
- Parenting is a hard job, but “home visitors” lend a hand
- Home visits from education experts improve outcomes for Philly kids in poverty
- PAT program results in a 22% reduction of child abuse and neglect