The Center for Schools and Communities (CSC) maintains the State Office for PAT in Pennsylvania. CSC is responsible to develop, support and sustain high quality PAT programs by promoting fidelity to the PAT model, providing technical assistance to programs to support excellent, comprehensive services for all families, overseeing and guiding programs to achieve the PAT outcomes, and advocating for availability and accessibility of quality early care and education programs for families in the state.
In 1992, the first Pennsylvania funded Parents as Teachers (PAT) programs were implemented in 13 newly created family centers, by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Today, PAT is being used by 43 family centers and in other settings for a total of 70 organizations with 95 program sites.
PAT affiliate programs have different homes in their communities which may include additional family support services but maintain the same evidence-based PAT services.
Family Centers provide a framework for strengthening families by encouraging economic self-sufficiency and assuring healthy development and access to healthcare services for children. They promote positive child development through effective parenting, early intervention and outreach activities, and support and preserve the family unit as the children’s foundation for success. Family Centers provide a seamless, comprehensive, and easily accessed network of service for children.
Early Head Start and Head Start (EHS)
EHS provides early, continuous, intensive, and comprehensive child development and family support services to low-income infants and toddlers and their families, and pregnant women and their families. This HV model promotes the optimal social, intellectual, emotional and physical development of children while supporting parents in their role as caregivers, teachers and providers, so that parent/child relationships and families will develop to their fullest potential. Head Start serves families with children ages 3-5 and may also use PAT home visitation program.
Other PAT homes include county children and youth agencies, health programs, schools and private non-profit family support organizations. PAT services are funded through:
• PA Dept. of Human Services Office of Children Youth and Families (DHS-OCYF)
• Maternal Infant Early Childhood Home Visitation (MIECHV), PA Office of Child Development and Early Learning (OCDEL)
• Head Start and Early Head Start
• PA Children’s Trust Fund (CTF)
• County Children and Youth
• Health Services
• Local fundraising efforts
For information about programs in your area, contact the Pennsylvania Parents as Teachers state office.
Affiliates Earn Blue Ribbon Endorsement
The following affiliates have earned the National Center’s Blue Ribbon Endorsement:
• ARIN Intermediate Unit
• Cameron County Family Center for Child Development/Cameron County Commissioners
• Child Development—Parents as Teachers/Erie School District/Erie Family Center
• Coatesville Family Center Community Action Partnership
• Coatesville Family Resource Center PAT/Community, Youth & Women’s Alliance (CYWA)
• Columbia County Family Center—PAT/Columbia County Commissioners—County Government
• Community Prevention Partnerships of Berks County
• Community Services of Venango County—PAT
• Early Head Start—PAT/Council of Three Rivers American Indian Center
• Family Resource Center of Blair County
• Fulton County Family Partnership, Inc.
• GNA Family Center—Parents as Teachers/Greater Nanticoke Area School District
• Greene County Family Center
• Infant Development Program
• Lancaster Family Center—PAT/Community Action Program of Lancaster County
• Mercer County Family Center/Farrell Area School District
• Mercer County Family Center/Community Connections Greenville Area School District
• Mercer County Family Center/Sharon City School District
• Parenting Plus Program/Centre County Youth Service Bureau
• PAT Infant Development Program Salisbury Area Family Center
• Perry County Family Center, Inc.
• Salisbury Area Family Center—PAT/Salisbury-Elk Lick School District
• The Children’s Advocacy Center
• The Guidance Center/Parents as Teachers (Jefferson County)
• The Guidance Center/PAT (McKean County)